Monday, July 9, 2007

indoctrination

why is it that people are so quick to point out the blatant attempts to control public opinion and indoctrinate children with a particular political agenda when it's the other side doing it? link Can we honestly justify doing the same to our own children? Does it really make it okay as long as we are forcing them to be "good" people, and only teach them our own version of "truth?" (another link) Can we not trust our children to be morally capable of making their own decisions? I know my children weren't born with any "bad" in them. I don't think they are any different from all other people on Earth, either. If I respect my children's intelligence and their inherent ability to know what's right, if I neglect indoctrinating them into sharing my particular beliefs, does that make me a bad parent? Would it harm anyone in any way shape or form if I suggest that we all not only treat our children in such a manner, but everyone? A friend recently said to me, "I only want the chance to decide for myself." Isn't that what we all want?

No comments: