Sunday, April 8, 2007

sunrise service

I got up before daylight, turned on the computer and microwaved a cup of left over coffee. It's very quiet in the house, everyone is still peacefully asleep. Quieter than usual, actually, since I turned off the filter in the frog tank to feed them. I hear the first birdies chirping outside, and I'm tempted to open the blinds and watch the sunrise. But maybe not, the neighbors might see me in all my early morning glory *snort* braless (not a happy vision when you wear the size bra I do), greasy hair, Marlboro sweatshirt, stretch pants, and all.

Big sister J was asking about Easter, had it confused with Christmas, since they are both about Jesus, I suppose. I told her that Easter is the day Christians celebrate Jesus going up to heaven. Upon further questioning by my very bright daughter, I explained to her that Christmas celebrates his birth, and that Easter celebrates his death. I'm glad I didn't have to elaborate on it much more than that. I think she's still a bit young to be told stories of torture. We already had an egg hunt, but unfortunately not before the weather turned chilly, and we have been celebrating Spring for some time now in many different ways. She wants to celebrate Easter, too. So I asked her if she'd like to get up before light and go to sunrise service at church. Needless to say, she did not find that idea very attractive, but it was a chance to talk about the symbolism of the sun rising and Jesus' ascent, which is what it's all about anyway, even if you aren't strictly Christian.

No comments: