Friday, March 23, 2007

environmental toxins

be afraid. be very afraid. I don't understand why people are not more afraid. Our tap water contains chlorine (not all tap water does, though). Chlorine reacts with things, that's why it works so well as bleach. When chlorine reacts with organic matter (carbon) it creates dioxin ("agent orange") which is the most toxic substance known to man. ...Uh, wait a minnit, aren't we organic matter ourselves? In tiny quantities, dioxins have been proven to cause autoimmune and reproductive disorders such as endometriosis and infertility in males and females of all sorts of animals, including humans. What makes me fear is the idea that my children may someday understand why Mommy sometimes can't play with them and has to take pain medicines. Before you ask me for links, I don't have them anymore. The ones I used to have are now owned by Dow Chemicals, who makes billions of dollars selling, guess what? Chlorine! You most likely can't find the information hardly anywhere, but you can try looking it up yourself. If you find anything, let me know. But I still bet the website will disappear, like, soon. Yes, it's a for-real conspiracy. Don't even get me started on the endometriosis websites, and research organizations, that are now funded or sponsored, or owned, by Tapp Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturers of Lupron, the world's most evil drug. Just know that if you see an ad for Lupron on any website about endo, I wouldn't trust the information you read there.

Okay, so why harp on this now, Stacy? We've all heard what you think about chlorine before...

In my email today was this article. Apparently chlorine also reacts with antibacterial hand soap to create chloroform. I don't use antibacterial soap, I'm more afraid of the chemicals in it than I am of the germs it is supposed to kill. Of course, the article is about the dangers of triclosan, not at all about the dangers of chlorine.

"In the new study, the same researchers from the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University tested 16 household products, including lotions, soaps and body washes. All the products containing triclosan produced either chloroform or other chlorine byproducts when exposed to tap water."

Whatcha wanna bet some of those "other chlorine byproducts" were dioxins? Can't find the study itself, will keep looking.

AHA! found it, but haven't read it yet.
Environ Sci Technol. 2005 May 1;39(9):3176-85

if you search pubmed, you get 880 articles on triclosan, 14 articles on triclosan and chlorine, 12,054 on chlorine, 314 articles on chlorine and dioxin, and 11,380 articles if you search just for dioxin.

No comments: