Thursday, May 31, 2007

i don't understand...

link can someone explain economics to me? seriously. I had to take both macro- and micro- economics in college because I changed my major and the other was required, but did rather poorly in both classes. Money stuff doesn't make good sense to me. I thought a strong stock market and high dow jones meant economic prosperity? Do you know anyone in the real world who isn't having trouble paying their bills right now? Or are the reports about Wall Street just evidence of the widening gap between the classes? How can the CEO's sleep at night knowing their companies are making millions of dollars while the people making the money for them aren't earning a living wage? Why is it that upper management pays itself so well, when their own prosperity depends on the workers? Honestly, I don't understand it at all. another link

2 comments:

Jen-Jen said...

Yes, the fact that the stock market does well has nothing to do with the way the regular folks are doing anymore. In fact, layoffs can make the stocks go up, as can outsourcing jobs to India. Anything that reduces costs increases the stock price of a company, and paying decent wages is a cost. It's nutso. Economics is a pseudo science, which is why it's hard to understand -- they use mathematical symbols and charts and graphs, but they are trying to describe a complex thing like the economy as if it's simple.

emma said...

read Freakonomics. I found that mind blowingly helpful!