Wednesday, May 30, 2007

outdoors

I have been unable to spend much time inside lately. Gotta be outdoors! Don't understand people complaining of the heat, it's only MAY and it's only gonna get hotter. I have more of a tan now than I've had since I was a kid.

So it hasn't rained in quite some time, and I've had to water my veggie garden (almost) daily. Yesterday, while watering the garden, our friend Robin's sister (I don't know it's a female, but this one is still speckled with brown on the chest and back) came to visit. She hopped right up to the spray of water and looked at me in a very quizzical sort of way. Next thing I knew, she was in the water, taking a little shower. I moved the spray, she hopped right back in it. I called the kids to come see, and little bird was not afraid at all, even though oldest child moves too fast (littlest one seems to instinctively know not to move fast around animals, and wild things do seem to love her).

as for my garden, the cucubrits (squash, cucumbers, watermelon, zuccini, and pumpkins) all seem to be doing really well. There are three bean plants that look pretty good, too - even picked off some flowers to let them grow a bit larger before setting seeds. The pineapple is much happier outdoors than it was inside in a flower pot. I have very few kale, turnip, and broccoli plants, and those are kinda puny. The sunflowers on one side of the garden are doing quite well, but those on the other side apparently have fungus of some sort. It's probably about time to go ahead and plant some okra, will do that later this week, when the forecast calls for rain. All in all, I'm quite pleased with the results so far. Not bad for my second attempt at veggie gardening!

No comments: